"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12
"For the Lord gives wisdom, and from His mouth comes knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6
It’s so important for us to spend time in the Word of God regularly (preferably on a daily basis). Why? Some of you may feel that you’ve already read through the Bible (maybe even several times) and already know the Bible so well that you think you don’t need to keep reading it. Of course, I can list tons of benefits of reading God’s Word (you probably already know them, anyway :)), but sometimes it can be helpful to think of the reverse. What could happen to us if we’re not reading the Bible consistently? Here are some examples.
- We could forget Who our God is (His attributes) and what His will is for His children.
- We could lose our eternal perspective and become ensnared in the temporal.
- We could lose the desire to be holy, to please, honor, and obey God.
- We could lose the hunger for righteousness.
- We could easily fall into temptation and/or become a stumbling block to others.
- We could be swayed/deceived by false teaching and doctrines.
- We could get comfortable walking in the flesh, instead of walking in the Spirit.
- We could lack Godly wisdom & discernment and thus make foolish decisions.
- We could grow cold towards God, the Body of Christ, and the Great Commission.
- We could become discouraged, fearful, anxious, and/or doubtful.
Dear Heavenly Father, please give us a hunger and passion to read Your Word, memorize Scriptures, and use the Bible as our guide for every decision or challenge we face each day! In Jesus’s name, I pray. Amen!